I have learned that life is always full of ups, downs, curves and twists. Through it all, I have even been prone to mistakenly forgetting that I have a gift to offer the world and a real chance to contribute. On the other hand it’s my pleasure to co-host The Journey Principles Radio Show and experience varying perspectives from cornerstone thought leaders on many topics related to personal life enhancements. Yesterday I enjoyed a great show with someone I consider a mentor, and a friend, Shawn Bolz. Shawn has amazing stories of his own on how he was lead towards his life mission. I believe we all want to live a passion and purpose-filled life. The truth is, activating your unique offering to the world is a powerful quality of that process.
In the 45 minutes with Shawn I learned several valuable lessons.
Here are my greatest takeaways and action steps:
- What’s the hold up? So many times we doubt the presence of a gift, simply because we don’t understand the gift or how it can be used to contribute to the world. While there are many gifts we can all share, there are also some gift offerings to each of us because it is coming through the filter of you! The filter of you is your experiences, influences, beliefs and values. When they are aimed at serving others in connection with God himself, they are incredibly powerful. Shawn taught that each of us simply need to take the first step and ask God What have you given me that I can share with your people? and What did you intend for me?.
- What’s the next step? Simply ask, in your reflective time, what step can I take today towards operating in the gift that has been discovered above. Search for what can be learned or for the correct mentor to be found. Search for ways to grow the gift and create a place where the energy is from a place of compassion and love. When your gifts are fueled by loving others, they grow in strength and effectiveness. If they operate out of personal gain and ego, they will likely be stifled.
- How can they flourish best? Change your perspective towards your expectations. Seek to serve without an expectation of gain. Let the focus be on the impact God makes on others as a result of His direction and will. Let God promote you over time and don’t be rushed by the finish line, instead enjoy the process. Let the intimacy and obedience be at the core and let service to others be the primary outcome. Trust God’s timing!
- How can I trust the direction? Shawn Bolz and Bruce Lee both encourage us all to be like water. Bruce said it best this way You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend. What they are both saying is faith is best experienced through flexibility. Be flexible and allow for the spirit of God itself to mold you, others, and the ultimate direction over time. Let go of all control and simply serve. Serve from a sincere and genuine place but always be flexible in your approach. May it be done in accordance with your WILL.
- What if it feels awkward? The feeling of awkwardness comes anytime we start a new leg of our journey. Operating in our gift is no different. Here is the thing, ask yourself if you would let a toddler drive your car? Of course not because they are still learning the motor skills and healthy boundaries in life. Shawn taught us that the best way to operate in your gift is to simply practice. Take a chance and see what God does. It may not be perfect every time but with each effort God sees that you are actively trying to trust Him and the more you trust Him, the more trustworthy you become with the gift He has given you.
Shawn has two great ice breakers that he uses (and I tried them myself) that open doors beautifully. The first is “just borrow my faith for a second” allowing for a non-believer or someone who is growing in their faith a chance to hear from God themselves. The second is similar in that it takes the fear out of trying to serve and that is this “I am practicing to hear from God and I appreciate you allowing me to try”. We all appreciate vulnerability and the real genuine people in life, so be real. Focus on trying to hear and trying to relay. Be flexible enough to let God be God. I am confident that you can make a difference in someone else’s life by putting many of the steps into a routine practice When you are able to do that, you will be a light to the world. You can do it, stay at it!
If you would like more info on Shawn Bolz, I invite you to check out his website, https://bolzministries.com .
Here you will find ways to connect with Shawn and get incredible resources, that I study myself, in order to make your service as impactful as possible.
In Your Service,