Faith + Music = Momentum
Joesph Prielozny & Dirty Rice | Stephen Scoggins
Episode 002 of The Journey Principles Podcast
Grammy-award winning producers talk about what it’s like to live their life through their faith perspective and music. No production entity in Christian hip hop has achieved more in the past. Formed by Joseph Prielozny and Dirty Rice, COBRA collaborated with Lecrae on his September release, Anomaly to earn a Grammy Award for the song “Messengers” and another nomination for “All I Need Is You.” On Tuesday, the extended COBRA crew, which includes rapper KB and singer-songwriter Natalie Lauren, gave birth to Tomorrow We Live. Dirty Rice produced seven out of the album’s 14 tracks with Prielozny, who also played the role of A&R with Lauren.
“I think [Prielozny] is the genius behind a lot of what has come out of Reach, and Dirty’s a beast,” KB said, “and when we come together, you might get struck by the COBRA.”
Tomorrow We Live has been purchased more on iTunes than any hip-hop album this week besides Love Story by Eminem-endorsed Yelawolf. Its success was predictable, considering that Reach Records has had 17 straight solo albums chart on the Billboard 200. Less predictable were the events that made COBRA — and Tomorrow We Live as it exists today — possible.
A New Leaf
Before Reach CEO Ben Washer wanted to sign Lecrae, he had his eye on another act — A New Leaf, an acoustic duo formed by Kurt Denmark and Prielozny, whose brother roomed in college with Washer. A New Leaf flew to New York to record its Reach debut, but the group ultimately never released any music.
“I just felt like I didn’t need to be in the spotlight,” Prielozny said.
Instead, Prielozny accepted a job in Nashville, Tennessee as an assistant to Grammy-nominated producer Shaun Shankel. Then in 2004, Washer sent Prielozny an album that captured his attention — Real Talk by Lecrae.
“Man, this Christian music is different from the Christian music I’m working on in Nashville,” Prielozny said.
Bored one night, Prielozny produced a rock remix of Real Talk and returned it to Washer. Lecrae loved it. This led to Amped, the rap-rock EP released in 2007 by the 116 Clique, and then an offer for Prielozny to join Reach as an on-staff producer. Listen to the show and learn how perseverance and not fearing failure can inspire the change you most desire out of life.
- Hip Hop is such an energy filled music. It’s exciting. Hip Hop you want to get crunk and crazy. Instead of getting hype and crazy for just hip hop, when you infuse Jesus into hip hop, it makes it even more exciting. @JoesphPrielozny @DirtyRiceMusic
- Music can take down the walls. @JoesphPrielozny @DirtyRiceMusic
- I’m gonna write 99 bad ones for every good one. @JoesphPrielozny @DirtyRiceMusic
- Getting use to being turned down, but it’s a part of the process. You gotta get through those No’s to get to the Yes’s @JoesphPrielozny @DirtyRiceMusic
- It’s important for people who are getting into music to not let music consume every aspect of their life. @JoesphPrielozny @DirtyRiceMusic
- Art is the recycling of God’s creation @JoesphPrielozny @DirtyRiceMusic
- The key is to be surrounded by good people, don’t drift off to an island. Need a group of accountability partners and friends to do life with. @JoesphPrielozny @DirtyRiceMusic
To learn more about Joesph Prielozny and Dirty Rice, click here. To stay connected with them and their music, follow them on Twitter at @JoesphPrielozny @DirtyRiceMusic @cobramusicgroup
The Journey Principles Podcast is a weekly show that Stephen Scoggins, the founder of the Journey Principles Institute, hosts every Monday and Thursday! This show focuses on inspirational guests, helpful content, and free resources to help you and those you love overcome various adversities standing in your way. We are faith-based, but do not discriminate or participate in divisive matters. We feel our best tool is the helpful and compassionate style of sharing others’ stories to help our listeners take steps of action today. We tackle tough obstacles like fear, sorrow, despair, depression, addiction, low self-worth, overcoming conflict, and more. Our goal is to make each show better than the one before it and share real ways to get real help with your life. Subscribe on iTunes and please leave a rating and review! This will help put our show in front of those who need help overcoming the adversities in their life.